Sunday, September 16, 2007
A Handsome Night with John Bartlett
Huzzah! Fashion Week has come to a close. Of course I love it. It's like Christmas. We all love it, look forward to it but are very happy when the gauntlet has been run. Don't you agree?
A big thanks for opening your store after Fashion Week. Good one John! There were not 100 other events that night, everyone was well rested and people were talking about more than shows, color trends and what party was next.
I pop out of the subway at 8th Avenue and 14th and spy klieg lights twirling about the skies downtown.
I thought the Tribeca Film Festival was later in the month. Who is having such a splashy party? As I get closer I begin to feel sorry for you. Someone else is having an opening and it will cause a traffic disaster near John's little friends and family event.
But as I get closer to 143 7th Avenue at Charles I realize the lights are zooming around your new shop. How thrilling and fun!
Dude, you quite possibly have THE hottest friends in the entire world. Everyone who walked though the threshold was just gorgeous. Lumberjack love! I brought my friend John Polly from Logo Online, hope you guys got to chat. He is devilishly handsome too and I haven't spent time with him in eons. Now that he is newly single I took the chance to take him out for a night on the town before he gets hitched again. He had a blast. Who wouldn't?
As mentioned the crowd was such fun. Michael Macko from Saks was cavorting with Scott Schuman of Sartorialist fame (www.thesartorialist.com). I've never seen either of them more relaxed and happy! Just kickin' back and having a drink. Michael professed that he never really knew what I do so he and his staff decided to google me and read the whole site. Now he knows more about me than he or I ever expected.
I saw Ainsley Connell whom I used to work with at 7th on 6th and met the new Austin Scarlet. This boy was tall, beyond skinny and had on pleated pants, a ripped shirt, Versace-esque belt and a mammoth gold and diamond watch. Turns out he is a twee little thing from Birmingham England and here for school at FIT. I'm taking him shopping next week since he has yet to be dazzled by the shops here in New York. I don't think he is your core customer John, a little blingy for your taste but he was well impressed with the shop.
A real treat was to see:
* Greg and Greg! I first met you though Greg (www.gregclimer.com). It was fun to catch up with the both of them
* My friend Howard Steeves back in town from Australia. He met a gorgeous man down under, married him and is living the life in Sydney. He and his partner are in town for a week so I invited them to pop by.
* Matthew Sandager and Paul Marlow from Loden Dager. Congrats on a rockin show boys!
* Tiny Tim! John your three-legged dog is just the best. So friendly and Zen.
* Your store manager James Salaiz. Drool worthy and design focused. I love his pottery he created for the shop including the barbell flowerpot and fist book ends.
* Lucy Liu and Cynthia Rowley added a dash of twinkle to the evening but there was no grand entrance or paparazzi. Simply friends coming out to support.
Basically what I am saying is between the cute boys, warm surroundings and low-key energy, you need to have store opening once a month! It was the perfect party! Oh well except for the cops who kept sweeping in to corral people indoors with their champagne flutes.
John I'm ready for your 'salon Sundays'! We can all gather for drinks and discuss workers in India, who should win Mr. Leather or bring a favorite recipe to share!
As Blossom Dearie says, "Made my day John, diggin' you diggin' me John!"
Thanks for the fun and congrats on the store. Can't wait to pop by and buy the perfect snuggly fall finds!